Friday, May 21, 2010

Did I kill my mum with the weed protector?

I am a new homeowner and know nothing about gardening. I moved into the home in the winter time so the garden was pretty bare. There was a huge mum though that I loved. Once it died I cut it down as I was told. Come spring time, some daffodils appeared. I had a landscaper come to put down mulch and a weed protector. I told him to put the weed protector around the daffodils and to leave the area where the mum was alone. As for the rest, I'd try to plant some flowers myself. Stupid mistake, I should have waited a full year to see what would grow in the garden. Any way, it is now June and a plant has grown where I thought the mum was supposed to be. I checked the area next to the new plant today and it is covered with the weed protector. I think this is where the mum may actually be. If I cut the weed protector away, will the mum still grow or have I killed it already? I know mums bloom in the fall but I don't know if it should have already started to grow.

Did I kill my mum with the weed protector?
Depending on where you live... it should have started to grow already... Are you sure that the plant that is "where the mum used to be" isn't the mum? If your not that familiar with bedding plants maybe you should look up a picture of what a mum plant looks like and really study the foliage shape and structure and compare it to your "new plant" (since it's not in flower). If that's not it you can move the mulch and cut a small hole in the weed blocker where you think the mum plant is and it may be struggling to survive...
Reply:It should have started to grow already. Time to get a new mum.


No comments:

Post a Comment